This month's Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the "Where the frack is my ship" blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?
I held off from posting for this blog banter because I wanted to show you something. Introducing the new face of the game, courtesy of CCP and the final bit of the Incursions expansion.
In fact, lately I've taken to just logging in just to fly about and look at peoples avatars. The detail on the character creation system is simply amazing. And its not just the Character Creation system. Its the portrait part as well. You can do all kinds of facial expressions (except the pursing of the lips, WTF CCP? I'd like that top character to be looking like she's blowing you a kiss) with all kinds of poses, lighting with the same lame backdrops we had before.
These are two of the characters I've created. I'm with holding two of them, as I haven't quite finished tinkering with one, and the other is my main I'm not posting on the site. I'm actually quite proud of my main really, and it took all my effort not to go ahead and post it.
So what does this have to do with the Blog Banter?
Well, with the new character creator system, its entirely possible to look like YOU in the game. I'm waiting for real artists to get their hands on this system and not only do life-like self portraits but also do famous people like actors, political figures, and sports heroes.
Which brings me back to the banter. While I don't have any connection to my character other then its the portrait I play when in my Zealot, I know that there are several people who do. Roleplayers especially come to mind.
And although these characters are not some digital representation of me in the real world, my personality does actually shine through them. I for one am not a guy to steal a bunch ships that don't belong to me. So therefore, neither are my characters, and it usually irks me when someone does. Although I have some anonymity in this game, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to be a complete asswipe. I have no problem acting like that when someone truly deserves it, but I'm not going to go around acting like that all the time towards everyone. Its not the best way to make friends.
Eve is truly a team game once you leave the friendly confines of High Sec. And I think people who are natural leaders in real life tend to take of the mantle in Eve as well. Sometimes they don't. I for one am not the guy who is going to step up and lead from start to finish. I am however a guy that will step up and lead when I need to, like if the leader leaves or is podded or whatever. I play the same part in real life, with the exception of the podded part.
All of which makes the character creator system so unique. For the first time, people who really spend some time on the system in making their characters and posing them could actually feel a deeper attachment. After all, if the character looks just like you, what are the chances of you being a complete dick unless you are one in real life? Subsequently, if you pick a "face" that doesn't look like you but rather someone you dislike, are you more likely to "act out" in an inappropriate manner?
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
List of Participants:
- EVE Blog Banter #24: Be, all that you can be, and so much more!
- BB24:RL + EVE = | A Mule In EvE
- Freebooted: BB 24: You Talking to Me?
- where the frack is my ship?: Blog Banter 24: Behind the keyboard
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #24: I Am Prano. « Prano's Journey
- mikeazariah » Blog Archive » BB24 Who are you, who hoo woo hoo
- Drifting: The 24th EVE Blog Banter (January 2011 Edition) - Topic: EVE and Real Life
- Victoria Aut Mors » Blog Archive » Eve Blog Banter #24 – Where Eve Meets Real Life
- Who is more real?? « The Durzo Chronicles
- Captain Serenity: blog banter #24 - Personalities
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: EVE and Real Life (EVE Blog Banter #24)
- The 24th EVE Blog Banter - EVE and Real Life - The Phoenix Diaries
- » EvE Blog Banter #24: EVE and Real Life EvE Blasphemy
- Blog Banter 24: In Real Life « Yarrbear Tales
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Alt « the hydrostatic capsule
- Blog Banter #24 – Me « Roc's Ramblings
- Blog Banter: Personalities in game and out of game
- Fiddler's Edge: Game Face - Eve Blog Banter #24
- Progression's Horizon: Blog Banter 24- Synonymous or Anonymous?
- Diary of a Space Jockey - Cozmik R5's EVE blog: Blog Banter #24: I am me
- EVEOGANDA: BB#24: Real Life & Eve
- Reflections ~ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- Sleepless in Space - A New Age