Friday, March 4, 2011

Blog Banter #25: Moar Low Sec!

Welcome to the twenty-fifth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month's topic comes to us from @Tetraetc - "Tetra's EVE Blog" - who asks: "Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? Imagine a Null Sec where anyone could build outposts wherever. Would the reduction of the alliance game mechanic, and the removal of the sovereignty game mechanics (or the modification of it from Alliance level to Corp level for that matter) force more PVP into Null sec, or would giant power blocs like the NC still form themselves?"

I preface this with the fact I don't live in Null Sec.

I'm not sure I can say it any better then Mord Fiddle in Fiddler's Edge. He is pretty much my go-to guy on anything Null Sec.

All that being said.

I don't believe the sovereignty system hampers either the PVP or RP potential. If nothing else, it helps it flourish. Small gang PVP in Null Sec is not dead, hell I read every Wednesday in Rifter Drifter about Wesley's Wasted Wednesdays and enjoy those stories immensely.

So I guess I have to ask, why would you want this to disappear?

To me, the sovereignty system is the one thing that truly defines Null Sec and keeps it very clear you aren't in Low Sec anymore. We really don't want Null Sec turning into Low Sec, right? Low Sec has their power corps that band together to hold or roam. I'm sure the death of sovereignty would bring about this same thing.


Would getting rid of sov mean more PVP in nulsec? That implies there isn't enough right now. I just looked at eve-kill.net, which is about as comprehensive a resource as possible for PVP kills. I had to go to the third page to find a single kill that wasn't in nulsec and that was a classic lowsec special, 4 pirates in battlecruisers ganking a T1 frigate flown by a newbie. That's the kind of PVP we need more of?”

I feel inclined to agree. That kind of PVP is especially no fun for the gankee, and realistically no fun for the gankers if they are truly honest with themselves. I doubt very much that giant power blocks would form, but wasn't that exactly what goonswarm did back before sovereignty anyway?

And besides, don't we have enough of Low Sec already?



Participants:
  1. Who cares about Sov? - Hands Off, My Loots! ~ well sorta like an entry! :p
  2. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment